samedi 13 août 2011

underwater raving


English title and English text. So there. All in consideration for my good old Australian mate Rod. He used to speak a little French thirty five years ago but lost it all in oblivion. Something to do with old age, maybe, and total lack of practice, surely. Anyway I'm going to write in English for some time from now on. See what happens. It should keep my English in shape in any case. And please my Australian fans. As for the other ones, the ones who speak French and only French, they have been treated very weel I should think for the past four years and they have treated me with so few nice and encouraging comments in return that I honnestly don't care that much for what they're thinking of me for the moment. Let them simmer a while in their own rancid juice; that'll teach them. If they fell on their knees and implored me to switch back to a language they coul understand, or, better still if they wrote me a cheque I'd see what I could do. But since the French have been giving me the irrits for some time French will now wait for a while and that's how it is.

Well, as everyone can see, this picture is an underwater painting. Nowhere else could one see fish but underwater and that's proof enough. It hasn't been done underwater but in my studio, after I saw something vaguely looking like that composition during one of my underwater frolics. All I had to do back home was to reproduce the shape as best as I could, with a lot of clear and dark blue, using palette knives instead of soft brushes, add some fish, naturally, and there we are.

Curiously I'm not that good at making above water landscapes in such an imaginative way. For me a tree is a tree and should damn look like a f... tree, while a piece of rock or a chunk of coral can look like just about anything I please provided it looks good. I feel freer (or is it more free ?) with underwater stuff. The subject I paint doesn't matter so much; it's what I feel that matters.
I can't do it all the time though; I'm not that free and besides people who buy paintings around here want pictures that remind them of what they liked best during their stay in Mayotte and I need their money.

The Comoros underwater and the Comoros above waters... Story to be continued. See you soon.


1 commentaire:

La famille DAVID a dit…

Whatever the language, it's alway a pleasure to read you !